Re: Setting the scene

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_K5eFchRyC1DxmV695MX7YfuIaSN8M0w7bYv2GLpxkMfNb6RBrGRsiZzuRuzR8Q40L00D>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:36:19 -0800

Bryan digs into family history. And it sounds perfect.

> generation) there was a barn a wood shed, the summer kitchen, the
> sauna, and some root cellars.

I've recorded sweat lodges for some Far Place steads (the Finnish analogue / Kalevala inspiration looms large for me generally) but am not sure if they're entirely appropriate for Sartar. Thoughts and comments?

> After the initial subsistance period they mostly functioned as a
> dairy farm, and of course also had a few big draft horses. (The barn
> cats liked sleeping on the horses backs in the winter).

Dairying would only provide enough only for stead comsumption I'd imagine. And in the Anglo-Saxon Germanic analogue ewe's (sheep's) milk and cheese was by far the more common.

>If people were
> interested I'm sure I could do a sketch of the area (an aunt of mine
> still lives in the original farm house and I've visited numerous
> times, so I can do it from memory.)

Please do! This sounds great! I guess this gives you naming rights as well. :)

John

nysalor_at_S67kAtq0cl9f8N-HhgLCtCNuGRYs7jiIYkK4OA8IodqTOC7DF_b4AXBpQyJ7FtzaBCRnHBFEOmZAux8a.yahoo.invalid                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

In choosing your god, you choose
your way of looking at the universe.
There are plenty of Gods.