Re: Little Magic

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_OW9rCVsmQGBqqIBVThT_c5gWROEfEfKXQTnxwfMmr5TPu7ZhjJxwDsg9N>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:50:19 +0000 (GMT)

Bo Rosén wrote:
> Recent discussion on the other HW lists made me
wonder if we should try to give descriptions of the little magics people do.

> Or is this getting into too much detail?

If people want it, it is worth adding to the list of things to think about.

Generaly we should remember that the Orlanthi write up in G:coHW makes reference to Orlanthi attributing their successes and good fortunes to the gods when talking. So if we were doing a pice on building a stead, we might have a carpenter saying:

"When I carve the corner posts I hope that Orstan guides my arm and eye, as these posts have to be sturdy to take the weight of the roof," or something like that.

or

"Boys who are old enough to be trusted by the adults, but still shy in years of their initiation, tend the hearth fire at night, to make sure Mahome is fed. The fire warden's job is a great responsibility and when they feed the fire they make a quick prayer to Mahome, offering her gifts of good kindling and a roof over her head in return for her warmth. At the first stead the fire warden has a special duty. At dawn he makes a prayer to Elmal as he rises in the East, and Orlanth's loyal thane relieves the fire warden of the duty of keeping the stead warm and bright. Among Orlanthi clans being the fire warden of the first stead marks a young man as candidate for initiation to Elmal when he becomes an adult."

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"Women as well as men were recruited to restrain combatants, sometimes dampening their weapons by throwing clothing over them. Peacemaking of this sort required srength and courage more than negotiating skills...The clothing was more sign than substance, like the bell signalling the end of a round, and it seems that the sign was not without significant cultual force." - Bloodtaking and Peacemaking by William Ian Miller

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com