"Swensson Stead" map uploaded

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_4o-w7paKTl9r8-Gd-SWV6BCgLTYpRkiW1-e-YyD1uhzGQakOZbFpUkwLn7G5accoSA>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:07:39 -0000

I've uploaded to the files section a crude map as a starting point for what I've called Swennson Stead. (Could be changed to Swen's Stead to avoid frozen dinner jokes I suppose). I'm afraid it is in bitmap form, as I drew it with MS-paint and have no utility to save it as anything friendlier and smaller. I invite someone who can to do so.

I've also uploaded an html format document that decodes the map, since the map isn't really annotated.

Buildings are roughly where they were on my Grandfather's farm, but can be totally replaced. Note however that there is limited area that is unequivocally above the flood line, but isn't on rock (it doesn't show on the map, but the buildings are slightly above the nearby field). From those, you might as well build the stead near the river to catch the breeze. So re-drawing the buildings is fair game, but I expect that they would stay in a similar area. The optional second stead is shown in the other area that is high and dry but not messing up the fields too much, up to the list if we want a second hearth so far away.

The flood zone lines are a mostly wild stab on my part, I wasn't there often enough to have a good feel for what flooded, but from a game point of view the important part is only that some areas do flood, so you have limited good fields, so can't support too many people.

Someone mentioned a twisted stead. The natural location is across the river and down the track a ways.

You could probably have a mill on the rapids, but since this is a remote stead I don't know if they'd have anything that sophisticated. The rapids between stead and island are shallow and can be forded, on the other side of the island the bulk of the water is funnelled through and is a driving blast that nobody could stand against.

The summer kitchen has a good roof, cooking hearth, but huge open "windows" (aka partial walls). You cook there in the summer so the cool breeze from the river can blow through and keep the cooks from melting, and you don't heat up the stead more than necessary either.

Now go tear it apart and re-build it in a more useful form!

--Bryan