Re: Re: Saunas

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_pEf1B1clGGDLs5GydQK6nJeWMjrXJt4MUmH_xd60Vdfwilzq5Mem9c85TxHwFHNYSfli>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:29:10 -0600

Ian Cooper says:

>need a reason to enter the sauna - now it may be that
>entering the sauna is seen as eidfying becuase it
>demonstrates the stultifying Golden Age and men try to
>endure it as long as possible before leaving and
>re-entering the Storm Age when they leave.

        Right. I'd prefer if the sauna was not seen as a trial or something unpleasant like the Stagnant Age, though -- it should be fun. Although with plenty of room for posturing -- maybe the best way to get the Uroxi clean is to challenge them to a regular sauna-sitting contest; even if an Uroxi wins, the whole clan wins....

and he and Bo Rosen invoke the Baths of Nelat, which is a great idea. Not because saunas should be unpleasant, but imagine one that can sweat your guilt and bad deeds out of you!.

"When Orlanth went into the Baths, it was like the sauna only closer, like a winding sheet. And hotter."
  "As hot as the Hearth, grandpa?"
"Hotter. As hot as your uncle's forge and hotter than that. So hot that bronze would melt and run like sweat. So hot that Elmal's anger was remembered like a breath of air. So hot that only Orlanth could stand it. And that was just the first of the baths."

Peter LArsen