Re: Bees & Honey

From: raconteurx <mschwartz_at_uTdI3YwLuNbVzHaoCrhp_8l1wAk7iS16ptm8vdEuqs0IhLfkx5av2K7CS78S60Wrhv>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:13:22 -0000

John Hughes wrote:

>Heortlings grow sugarbeet as well...

Sugarbeets would be found in a stead's garden plots, tended by cottars, rather than in its fields. A method to extract crystalline sucrose from beets was not discovered until the mid-to-late 18th Century. Fructose, the main sugar in honey, is absorbed into the bloodstream more readily than sucrose and thus provides its energy to the body much faster. The same goes for glucose, the second-most plentiful sugar in honey.

See the page on sugar in the Cambridge World History of Food <http:// us.cambridge.org/Books/kiple/sugar.htm> for an overview of the mighty sugarbeet. It is a fair scroll down the page (~20 clicks on my little 14" monitor) due to the length of the information on sugarcane, but is definitely worth the read.

Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground, mschwartz_at_7BsGVPybcTVZgOXEGUyymv4_2dkFwS4up7axLJl04C3j276AzDFUcBpGvK4zSL4QEoNtOE6UF9ZqEeViAOSkV_w.yahoo.invalid | and words, its slides and Ann Arbor, Michigan USA | swingsets. -- yours truly