Re: buildings, lumbering

From: o_leppa <oleppa_at_TISwjYrHi7ZkwqYZ1XhwbID2eorm531joWuvO-0Xnb_x38I4E632_O2u23BLXIs-5hPu->
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:42:30 -0000

Precisely my point.

> Also, many roofs may span multiple "buildings." The classic
example
> is when people and animals are under one roof. The wood shed could
> share a roof with the sauna or steam bath (both require an
unusually
> waterproof roof), in many cultures barns have animals on the
ground,
> with a loft for hay storage, and so on.

Might be.

<snip>
> All that for no more than four adults! And all of the buildings
were
> of "log hut" construction (stacked horizontal logs), not quick and
> easy modern construction methods.

You were of finnish origin? Sounds awfully familiar.

> So for a stead with 40 adults a dozen or more buildings probably
> isn't unreasonable.

I wasn't objecting to the numbers, just pointing out that probably not so diverse types of buildings.

> * in a climate with a snowy winter, of course you do most of your
> serious lumbering in the winter. First of all there isn't so much
> else to do compared to the rest of the year, but also it is MUCH
> easier to drag wood home over snow.

That's for sure. Which leads to the question of sleds, do they exist?

> Most likely the majority of firewood is gathered deadfalls, but
there
> is always a desire in winter for some big hunks of maple or oak to
> put on the fire, especially in the evening so that they'll burn a
> good part of the night.

If wood's plentiful, one is unlikely to gather dead wood as serfs in medieval France I think.

Otto