Re: Resources thoughts

From: o_leppa <oleppa_at_848dEIJRC147Dxww8RLwCtba0sDOq_WD47EEWlm610xD4VBG6YfLBjW4RQYRk5UWe5rMj>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:10:01 -0000

> Basically if you throw a huge list at a narrator you'll tend to
cause
> eye-glazing. If you say "the forest is birch and willow in the wet
> areas, and maple and spruce higher up, with occasional groves of
> cedar" you've given something more useful on the fly, I think. We
> can always attach a pointer saying "for a more complete list of
> possible resources, go look here." That way those that are
interested
> can go look.

I agree with this.

> Finally, if anyone is still reading this far in, could someone
> scandinavian or Finnish describe what trees are seen in forests
> there? I keep saying maples because I'm familiar with them, but I
> don't think Sartar actually has maples....however up in the hills
> Oaks may not be viable. Perhaps Elm?

Isn't our climate a bit too harsh for Quiviniland? Shouldn't we be discussing with a german or englishman if wanted to know how the wegetation patterns go?

But since you asked I might as well tell how it's here. Our forest types are mostly of mixed type (not including the lappland which is an exception), where pines, firs and junipers mix with birches, alders, populus tremula (in english?), some maples and so on. Oaks and other more noble trees are quite rare in our climate.

We also have much purely evergreen forest. And swamps.

Otto