Re: Resources thoughts

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_AQpZqd0yeQqBx2ZW5omvvgi1nqcHff3v9kR75F76VHH7VuVGeDiM1IHqtZlkM4BxH6>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:47:40 -0000

Well, the Quivin mountains are HIGH, cooling down the climate quite a bit. Most of europe doesn't have a good equivalent, since the alps are quite far south, and their steepness has other effects on the climate and species. Probably the best equivalent that I can think of is Vermont state (or the Adirondacks in upper New York state) in the US....but I wanted a different point of view, which you gave.

> But since you asked I might as well tell how it's here. Our forest
> types are mostly of mixed type (not including the lappland which is
> an exception), where pines, firs and junipers mix with birches,
> alders, populus tremula (in english?), some maples and so on. Oaks
> and other more noble trees are quite rare in our climate.

Hmmmm, what I'm thinking is that up in the hills, you won't see much of the "noble species" of trees. Farther down in the lowlands or main valleys you'll see more oak oe beech. Just a thought.