Re: Fyrd size & emergencies

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_1jPygOVywxQZEOI8AspqO4XAyucTs7XFONXibQ5QsY2OmGO16TCLJ-d2U7i-e2Ui4E-S>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:54:25 -0600

At 4:17 PM +0000 2/28/02, moonbroth wrote:
>Ian wrote:
>
>>> I'd prefer 14/70 or 16/80 - 20%, as stated before.
>
>> I checked my notes. TR does in Combat and Warfare that 20% are
>> members of the fyrd, mainly men with some women
>
>That'd be 20% of total population, not 20% of adults, of course. I
>like that figure.
>
>> The remaining adults can fight in an emergency (though a
>> percentage are unfit for military service - about 5%)
>
>I find that somewhat hard to swallow. Are we *really* saying that 95%
>of Heortling men and women aged 15+ are "fit for military service"?
>(Per my pop stats, qv., that would exclude over-65's *only*).

        I would (without actually reading the resource, which is at home) say that perhaps 5% of Heortlings (the 65+ as per a later post) are useless in a fight, with the occasional tough granny being balanced by the occasional weak or incapacitated youngster. The growing incapacity of the 55-65 age bracket is balanced by older children being able to contribute something.

        This is, of course, in a "total war" sort of situation -- a brutal Lunar attack on a stead, large-scale Uz raid, a KoDP "raid to destroy steads,"etc. Normally, the fyrd (20% of the population, 40% of adults, 80% of adult men (understanding that older/incapacitated men are out and a Vingan or two is in)) are the maximum fighting force that is likely to be engaged. Right?

        So, for our stead, I see it working like this -- there are roughly 20 adult males. Perhaps 25% of those males are not in the fyrd (2-3 too old, plus 1-2 infirm from other reasons or ineligible for cult doctrines, etc). This leaves us with 15 fyrdmen, plus perhaps a warrior woman or two. There's our contribution to the fyrd. I assume there is no one like a "full-time warrior" at the stead, although some of the young men may be in combat-useful OA sub-cults, and the hunters would be effective in a missile fight. It's possible that there's a son or daughter of the bloodline who has become a weaponthane and returns to the stead a couple times a year to help train the fyrd -- there might be an adventure hook there. Plus, of course, the fyrd gathers at the Chief's stead for (Weapons Day?) yearly training/rituals.

Peter Larsen