RE: Area of Steads lands

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_Xz81dJwwztUpAXft-4BaERp_sYsKk2NmTQ886xmxZGVP-ZehUHB-XjH5GorT5LvunDEMS_h>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:01:39 -0000

Andrew asks:

> What proportion of the clans lands does our typical stead have control
> over?

I'd have thought a typical stead controlled a proportionate amount of the clan's lands. It isn't a soft life for Heortlings -- if you can't work the land, you go under. It's not as if there's unworked land for the taking elsewhere...

> Will hunting lands be considered communal for all the clan or will each
> stead stick to its own traditional area that it hunts in?

I'd prefer the former for scenario / "trespassing" / accidental death / interesting meeting purposes, and advocate it. Steads may express a preference for the latter (assisted by a few well-timed javelins at unwelcome intruders -- "whoops!"), but with no wyter helping out, there's not a lot they can do if someone else sneaks onto their turf, bags a rabbit, and runs.

(Frankly, I'm annoyed that clan tulas include hunting lands *at all*, but them's the breaks).

Cheers, Nick