Re: Re: Area of Steads lands

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_qloUti7tbOkVLJ9LAY5oZpF_CbABneiKKPwLC_qDy1otJ47sra9aWCzVUJwwwau8dX5M>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:38:43 -0600

At 9:18 PM +0000 3/7/02, ttrotsky2 wrote:
>Well, THAT didn't work...
>
>OK, I was trying to respond to the claims of typical clans having 2000
>members as opposed to 1000. The figures given in Questlines for tribal
>population exclude only under-fives, and indicate a typical tribal
>size of around 6,500. Allowing for the exclusion of the under-fives,
>that would be either four or eight clans per tribe, on average.
>Personally, I'd rather go for the eight clans implied by the smaller
>clan sizes.
>
>OTOH, the only example of a tribe for which we have a canonical list
>is the Colymar. With a total population of 15,500 (plus under-fives)
>they have twelve clans. That suggests a total clan population
>(including under-fives) of 1,500 or so - that is, 750 adults. Exactly
>half way between the two suggestions...
>
>Ho hum.

        Indeed. I think we are in a YGMV situation -- one can always say that the numbers given are Luner censi and none too accurate, as they eliminate all the guys who were out herding, hunting, raiding, or staying out of the Lunar's sights. I guess the biggest question on the table is how big is CLAN and BLOODLINE? I think we should go with 6 roughly equal bloodlines, because that's the example in TR, and we are building sample steads, not a sample clan. The only reason this really matters is whether Swensstead is big or not. If CLAN has 1200 people and 600 adults, and BLOODLINE has 200 people and 100 adults, Swensstead, with 80 people and 40 adults is a slightly-larger-than-average stead. On the other hand, if Trotsky's numbers are right, BLOODLINE has 15 adults, and Swensstead is more average or a little small. With 200 adults, Swensstead is about half average size.

Peter Larsen