Stead Population

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_QlgWGdSe4lG5jRXOlZAJbKLTQ2ZNd7kPM3brXcxbvHE_rOCBYSWqthaiYr4nq8BvZQ>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 20:14:05 -0500

John Hughes wrote:

>Since we still don't have an answer as to what
>our stead population is, we're working in the
>dark.

40 adults was the number I kept hearing bounced around... 20 men and 20 women... and children numbering 40 as well, for a total population of 80. Swensstead would need five carls in order to support its populace, or three carls and four half-carls, or two carls and six half-carls, or one carl and eight half-carls. Should we stick with the sheepherding focus, the half-carls are likely wealthy cottars who have prospered due to the Heler shrine's blessing. I would go with two carls and six half-carls/wealthy cottars, as that gives the cottars a bit more pull legally (oath-weight of a carl is 25 cows, equal to his or her wergild; that of a cottar or half-carl is likewise equal to his or her wergild, ten cows. This would provide Swensstead's cottars with a 60-to-50 advantage over the carls.

Or I could be daft... :)

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at__GFHmUHo2hZ3H4FqAazW0rsdvR4de9XQYJH_ZAGQC09Zqolu0RpwL_tC5plNAVcll1tcoCt3bpaBt7COe5Q.yahoo.invalid | and words, its slides and