Re: Stead Population

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_WAapeuilMOYbMN5bnOYFI2MM2HRHwj5JcuziUzA-vMW-rB_ZKYW3H4em6c3BL-fxZV>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 19:18:32 -0000

....although some suggestions have been essentially double that. My first preference was 40 people total, but given something like 7 major steads and assuming the chief's stead is as big as any four steads, and accepting that the low land steads are probably mostly slightly bigger than the upland steads, you get something like 110 people per stead, nudged down for upland steads, matches the 80 person size pretty well.

So I'd suggest we plan on 80 people--although this is for the stead in a very broad term. It may include a few oddballs who live up in the hills, but who are closer to Swenstead than any of the other steads.

> Swensstead would need five carls in order to support its populace,
or
> three carls and four half-carls, or two carls and six half-carls,
or one
> carl and eight half-carls. Should we stick with the sheepherding
focus,
> the half-carls are likely wealthy cottars who have prospered due to
the
> Heler shrine's blessing. I would go with two carls and six
> half-carls/wealthy cottars,

I like this. It would seem to me likely that up in the hills you don't have as many well off farmers, proportionately, as down in the valleys. Also, the fishers and hunters are most apt to be counted as cottars or half-carls, I would think.

> Or I could be daft... :)

Always possible I suppose, but your analysis made a lot of sense!

--Bryan