Re: Re: Tweaking the Age Distribution Tables

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_fo-pj7uayDQuPB5fWx0M7LkKr5o0af7g088x-dWPalpXL9UNEHkZiztdl>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:09:28 +0100 (BST)

John Hughes
> I've asked Greg about the 50% children figure -
hopefully his reply will help put the puzzle into proper perspective. Personally, I'd be happy with Nick's original 33% figure.<

FWIW, isn't the 50% figure the usual guesstimate for dependants, that is children and elderly. In addition, Checking with current US census statistics

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2001/demoprofile.html

reveals that current percentage of children are at about the 30% mark, which leads me to wonder whether Roman population figures represent a level of civilization that exceeds the culture we are talking about.

Nick, any clues why the percentage figure should have remainded static to the 20C - higher infant mortality rates absorbing the increased number of births?

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"They were seven in all, and therewithal both sides rushed into the fight. Thorarin slew a house-carle of Thorbiorn's, and Alfgeir another, and there fell also a housecarle of Thorarin's; but no weapons would bite on Odd Katlason. Now the goodwife Aud calls out on her women to part them, and they cast clothes over the weapons." The Story Of The Ere-Dwellers Chapter 18

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com