Re: Tweaking the Age Distribution

From: moonbroth <nick_at_BLKlADRgouI9GZgcUEjG4NHBjOAxHdMSxyEbPwvBlnjcTtC7gv_KzBfFX3awklIVrCXNAir>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:28:58 -0000

Last time I'll say this. Andrew wrote:
>>   Initiands [*]:   4%     4%
>> [*] I have always considered this category to be as-yet-to-be-
>> initiated children, rather than freshly-initiated adults.

> Yes my thoughts as well. If you include those who have not yet
> completed there full initiation then it looks better.

Yes, BUT. If all* girls are initiated before age 15 and all* boys are initiated after age 15, it is *absurd* to use the term initiands to mean "girls and boys aged 15-19".

I agree that "initiands" (meaning something like "children who now qualify for initiation but haven't yet been initiated"?) could well be a useful term, but it *doesn't* mean "15-19 year olds".

Cheers, Nick