Orlanthi social attitudes.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 21:32:39 GMT

My gripes about RQA#4:
> >I feel obliged to state (the obvious) that I don't view Heortland
> >Orlanthi, much less Orlanthi in general, as being part of the New
> >Republican Right constituency that RQA4 seems to envisage.

are taken as a dig at Jeff Richard's voting patterns:
> As far as I know, John Castellucci is a Democrat (he has links to
> various anti-GOP sources on his homepage) and I find it very bizarre that a
> relationship between a bronze age pastoral culture worshipping a
> polytheistic pantheon and a post-industrial American political ideology can
> be directly inferred by RQA#4.

What can be inferred from RQA#4 is that the Orlanthi are portrayed as having a very much more socially reactionary set of attitudes than in the Chaosium material on the subject; if I had accused Jeff's Whitewallachians as having sabotaged Boldhome's Medicare reforms I could see the case for this analogy being "loopy" and/or "bizarre", but as it stands, the criticism seems to be entirely valid.

> Let us endeavor to keep our modern civic
> discontent and ire out of our discussions of Glorantha.

Fine by me; let's discuss the material, and its lack of correspondance to that which is foregoing, which the above signally fails to do. To spell this out in Newt-free terms:

RQA4 portrays the Orlanthi as being "social conservatives" with respect to some things, such as gender roles, sex, marriage, and divorce, while the Official material shows them to be "social permissives" in broad terms with regard to them. Now, as I said before, if this carried caveats such as "why these Orlanthi are different", or "this is my material, non-Greg-conformant, love it or leave it", fair enough, but it markedly didn't.

Alex.