CA Vegetarism

From: Truls Parsson <Truls.Parsson_at_eua.ericsson.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 95 14:20:14 +0100

Sandy maunders:

(About Japanese fish eating)

>the question isn't what the Japanese do, it's what the CA do.

True, and I didn't say anything else. I just wanted to point out that you were wrong when you said lots of japanese are vegetarians and tried to use it as an argument.

(About the diseases)

I wanted to point out that it is dangerous to not have a diet with all ingridients. Not to say that a CA would get Beri-Beri. As for rachitis I meant scurvy guess I bungled both my write english roll and my Medical roll.

>>it is very hard to be a vegetarian as the local flora must be able
>>to support vegetarism
> Sorry, but this is bunk. It's not difficult at all to be a
>vegetarian, and you can be one in most environments. Meat-eating
>folks (such as myself) tend to exaggerate the difficulties, but it's
>just not all that hard.

Well I don't agree. OK maybe I exagerated when I said it was very hard but it is not easy. If you want to be a vegetarian in Sweden nowadays it's not hard. If you remove remove all imported stuff it is still possible but you have to work for it (but still no problem if you set your mind to it). Now remove all non-indigenous plants and it is difficult. Now confine your self to only a small part of Sweden and you might not be able to make it at all. Espescially during winter. Remember that travel is not as common nor as easy as it is nowadays and thus availability can be very low to non-existant for some plants.

Of course if you want all CA to be vegetarians you can

  1. Say that there is all year round always the needed plants in any terrain that the CA live.
  2. Maybe Ernalda has a special crop, which has the necessary sustenance to compliment normal crop, that can be grown in most climates and is easily storable.

Or that initiates don't need to be vegetarians the whole year. And thus eat fish every now and then. Being true vegetarians during sacred time and the weeks preceding and following sacred time. And the weeks that include holy days. Also they might only be allowed to eat fish once a week at most at other times.