Seven Mothers and Fish

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 12:45:55 +1300

Andrew Joelson:

> I am having a few conceptual difficulties with the Seven Mothers
>Cult, and would like a little input. I am spelling out a few ideas here;
>who likes what, and why?

> Cults of Prax's Lunar write-up lists sub-cults to each of the
>Seven Mothers. What is the relationship between these sub-cults, and the
>'real' cults of Deezola, Tarnils, et al?

My current conception is that the subcults of the Seven Mothers are similar to the subcults of Orlanth Goodvoice, Orlanth Lawspeaker and so forth. They are attributes of the _Red Goddess_ in her various aspects (ie knowing, horror, healing, reforming, etc). The 7M subcults are distinct from the actual cults of the Seven Mothers.

If one is an initiate of the 7 mothers and shows a predeliction towards Irrippi Ontor, ie hangs around the chief Priest of Irrippi Ontor of the Seven Mothers, then he might consider joining the actual cult of Irrippi Ontor to enhance his understanding of the Goddess's Knowing Aspect.

The Seven Mothers is sort of like the Lunar Cult-lite for missionary work in the Lunar Provinces (it probably has a different function [and form!] in the Lunar Heartlands, in Carmania, in the Redlands and in Fronela). One just plonks up the Temple to the Seven Mothers in a remote land and it becomes capable of supporting virtually most of the manifold aspects of the Lunar Way that the barbarian needs to comprehend. Later as the region becomes more sophisticated and civilized, the Lunar Way begins to deepen within the land as more Lunar Cults are imported and set up.

David Dunham:

Sandy had written:

David wrote:

>This bothers me, since he's a pretty unpleasant deity to have to face when
>you die;

So what's the problem? I hardly consider the RW skinny 'Death with a Scythe' bloke to be the quintessence of a pleasant transformation to the afterlife. The Lunar religion is apparently full of passing through the dark night into the Light of Day. Anyhow, Danfive is a _reformed_ Gagarthi bandit, he won't rob you blind...

Takehiro OHYA:

Responding to Alison Place:

>>However, not classifying fish (or
>>rabbit) as meat does bear out the main statement that most Japanese are not
>>strict vegetarians, since they do eat dead animals. Thank you for the
>>expert's opinion, Takehiro! By the way, how does a rabbit qualify as fish?

>I'm very Sorry for making some mistakes! A rabbit is classified as
>BIRD, not fish.

Interesting! The rabbit was domesticated by French Monks circa 11th century (I think) on the grounds that it was a species of immature _fish_. (Catholics, until recently, weren't allowed to eat most kinds of meat on fridays [Fish being the exception] so the monks had some incentive to classify the rabbit as a fish). I suupose they must have argued that the long ears were actually fins...