Hey ho, hey ho, its off to work we go...

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 12:00:32 +0100

Jose Ramos says some nifty thing about dwarves. However, I think I'll get back to you personally, Jose.

> BTW, Krarshtkids are not mindless, so any incursion in dwarven
> territory is bound to be deliberate.

THanks for reminding me. This makes things FAR more interesting....

Peter Metcalfe on elves' high INT:
> Presumably to represent their affinity with Spirit
Magic; they can
> know more because they are more in tune with the Spirit World and
> can appreciate its nature more readily. This affinity can be warped
> to learn sorcery (obligatory hiss!) or non-adryami spirit magic (like
> fireblade) but an Elf would have to cut himself off from Aldrya to do
> so.

Does this affinity also mean that they remember things better (high Idea rolls) because they can use the memories of the spirits? That they learn things quicker (high bonuses on many skill categories)because they are helped by spirits? (No, I'm not sarcastic. I actually like the general idea, which ties in with Sandy's "tap into Aldrya's consciousness" which came later.)

Peter on dwarves and chaos:
> The Decamony knows that Chaos Dwarves are more properly known as
> the Vegetarian Heretics and have nothing to do with Krarsht. As
> well as adopting the manifestly Chaotic principle of Growth
(things deleted)
Now, I think dwarves separate between Chaos and Growth. Growth is a thing within the machine that has broken, Chaos is something from outside the machine. But that is IMO and I can see how it can be rationalized differently.

Harald Smith also tries to answer my questions, with various levels of success:

> > How does that compute with general selfishness?
>
> Because dwarfs horde the knowledge of The Machine and all its parts.
But from _other dwarves_? If another dwarf says he needs something to the dwarf A, why shouldn't dwarf A give it away, unless he has orders from Higher Up that he shouldn't? The other dwarf is obviously working to further the Machine.

I asked:
> > > What use does a

normal dwarf has for gold? >
and Harald replied with several practical uses for Au. Well, I should have said "money" or "riches" or something like that. However, two improtant things were mentioned:

> It is extremely maleable so it is used as in parts of the Machine which
> require such metal.

Like the Sky! Considering the metals mythical connections - what should else the sky be made of!

 It does not tarnish, so it can be used to plate > over other metals which might otherwise suffer from metal 'diseases'.
And here comes another point, which I like extremely well: Dwarves may, because they have such a good supply, use noble metals and gems (industrial diamonds? can dwarves create gems?) for their practicality, not for any abstract value. Of course most of their goods is gold-plated, just for the reasons Harald stated!

Have to stop here, but will be back.
Erik Sieurin
(not Sleurin, Stearin, Sevrin or Siren)