A different Humakt story - PC's this time.

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 16:34:13 +0100

                  KEEP YOUR HEAD ABOVE THE WATER
Richard's leg ached. This wasn't that strange, considering how it was healing from the crushing blow he gained from a pissed-off Zorakzorani, as usually without any magic, and with the not-so-very painless chirurgery of the temple physicker. That didn't stop Richard from swearing about it and being in a very foul mood.

They were up to it to their necks. He wasn't that worried about the bunch of people he knew wanted to kill him after the latest debacle during the sandstorm at the Obscene Hyena. He was far more worried about the people who probably wanted to kill him just as badly that he DID'NT know about. Say whatever you wanted about them undeadscrewing  Zorakzorani darkmen monsters, but at least they weren't subtle about it. Richard absolutely HATED to have to plan and scheme, it was below his dignity, but since he left home for Pavis, fleeing the destruction of Boldhome, he had to do so at every turn. People who afterwards wondered how it came that Richard trusted the advice of Harold, an obvious fool, should remember Richard's tendency to grab at any plan proposed if it was already finished so that he wouldn't have to think about it.

Gimpy's was empty, except for a guy who seemed to be a member of the watch - whatever he was doing here - their young admirer Ingolf, a short but burly man wearing outlandish armor, and two surly men in sack-cloth-like clothing. All were staring at their drinks, except the armored fellow, who was talking aloud to nobody in particular in very broken Pavic. Ingolf looked up as they entered, and so did Mr Armor.
- -Thank the Sword you're here, Ingolf sighed.

The proprietor mumbled something about damned Sartar refugees who want part of the public bread without paying taxes when they have their pockets filled with gold, but accepted the payment. Richard understood why Yssak had wanted his horse - it was a large charger worth half a thane's land, and with barding too. Yssak was now happily riding along on it, singing some unintelligble song from his homeland. The two badly-dressed men turned out to be his manservants/slaves - Richard never got it correctly - and were now carrying a large baggage that had also been released by paying the hefty bill.
- -I say we storm the damn thing, was Harold's enthusiastic plan. We
surprise him - that's how to deal with sorcerorrs - we just RUSH in and kill everyone that resists - though it would be good to keep that black-and-white dressed guy slightly alive, so we can question him.
- -But it's a boat, Richard said dubiously. I've never heard about
anyone storming a boat.
- -Look, Harold continued, yo don't know anything about boat warring,
OK? How do you otherwise attack a boat - ambush it?
- -Boats turn over if you rock them, Richard muttered, whose complete
experience of things floating on water was fishing on the miller's dam from a coracle.
- -But its a BIG boat, right? Yssak said there was even a HOUSE on it -
well, a small house at least. I say we storm it - with a BATTERING RAM! We smash down his damn boat-house - whoever heard of such a thing its probably CHAOTIC - right on top of his head, whack!

Harold had stopped in the middle of his rant. He was studying a large log that served as a bench for one of the houses they just passed. Richard looked as if he didn't think it was very good idea.
- -I don't think.... he began but was rudely interrupted by Harold.

They were standing at the top of the hill. Below them was the slope, though the mud huts and bigger wooden buildings of the River People blocked the view of the boat down below. The three warriors stopped and chanted their prayers - Harold was longest at it as usual, while Richard just let loose the cool strength of Valind and almost without thinking whetted his sword with his blood to make it thirst for more. Then the three of them grabbed the log and felt the slow build-up of expectation and excitment of coming battle in their chests and arms.
- -You ready? Richard asked.

TO BE CONTINUED..... Erik Sieurin