Re: Argrath vs. Ralzakark

From: mark groff <mg1160_at_messiah.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 13:11:26 -0900 (PDT)

Argrath no more powerfull than Ralzakark? maybe in the political sense, but in one on one combat, Ralzakark would probably - almost certainly - be toast. The only place that I've seen comparative stats for the Gloranthan Heros was Dragon Pass. In Dragon Pass, Argrath, all by his Lonesome was the combat equivalent of a decent Regiment, he coluld move better than any non-flying unit - ie Heroic movement, his magic factor was 10 meaning it took two typical lunar magic regiments to threaten him on waxing, full or waning half moons, more on the dying or dark moons. He caries a couple or three regimental equivalents in his pocket in the form of the dragon tooth runners, and Giants go out of their way to help him. Not to mention heroic escapes.

      Now, looking at Ralzakark's stats I have to agree that he is extreamly tough, but I think its doubtfull that Ralzakark could stand up to the efforts of one lunar magic regiment on the full moon. The only role playing example of army magics that I've seen described was in the Cradle Scenario, and it took an (estimated) magic regiment just to strip the cradle of its defences. Could Ralzakark have managed the same? What exotics does Ralzakark command? I would however probly grant him Heroic escapes. all IMHO.

     Mark Groff - Cougrage has got to be stronger, spirit the stouter as our strength faileth

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #525