Re: Ludoch Merman and damn my eyes

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 10:50:33 -0500

I forgot to list the CORAL QUEENDOM in my preceding post as one of the main forces of the East Isles. A pox upon me.

        THE CORAL QUEENDOM is the largest of the Ludoch merman nations found in the East Isles.

Joerg sez
>Elder Races Book has next to nothing on Ludoch culture and daily
>life, and nothing at all about any of the other races.

        Mainly because it's hard for mermen to be PCs, or even interact with them much. They're stuck being mysterious entities of the sea. But, here is a bit more information about the Ludoch, at least.

THE LUDOCH
MYTHOLOGY Read the stuff about the Water Gods in Wyrm's Footnotes.

HISTORY
They have been a constant influence on Glorantha's history except during the Closing. Unless you consider them as _being_ the cause of the Closing, which may well be the case. At least the Zabdamar mermen of Kahar's Sea of Fog say that the Closing had nothing to do with the Brithini at all, and that the disappearance and appearance of islands during that period was effected by merfolk activities. Who can prove otherwise?

        Certainly the Waertagi success was not wholly due to their own prowess. Their links with the merfolk were essential, and perhaps comprised the majority of their advantages. Could they have slain sea dragons without merfolk help? Could they have so effectively tamed deep sea animals? Could they have kept so well-informed with other Waertagi vessels? The answer is NO. The Waertagi were, to a very large extent, simple agents of the merfolk, not even a race in themselves. This is not to denigrate the Waertagi, but to bring out the true import of the merfolks' impact.

        Current interactions of Merfolk with humanity are many:

  1. The Vadeli commonly harpoon the Ouori for food (only a rumor of course). The Ouori are not taking this lying down, but their response is a secret at this time.
  2. The Ludoch of Kethaela have some kind of plans kindling. Note that the Admiral of Rightarm betrayed the other states of Kethaela in their war vs. the Lunars, and later had his fleet sunk by the Wolf Pirates. But the mermen were untouched by this defeat. With the defeat of the Admiral, it's clear that the balance of power in Rightarm has passed from the humans to the mermen. Now they are in charge. The proximity of Three Step Isle is indicative, IMO.
  3. At the moment, the Zabdamar are suspiciously inactive vs. the Kralori. Not that they don't sink, curse, and harass ships. They do. But they appear to be biding their time, waiting for the initiation of some big plan. Or else perhaps they are currently disorganized, squabbling among themselves.
  4. The Coral Queendom (Ludoch) in the East Isles has a temporary truce-by-default with Haragala, a Mexican standoff with the Valkarian Coalition, and evidently tolerates the Ratuki and their slave-raids. One common rumor is that the Queen of the mermen is bargaining both with the Vorumai _and_ the Haragalans for the best deal, after which she will help destroy the other. This might be one reason why the Haragalans have proven slow to join forces with the Valkarians vs. the Vorumai -- the Queendom may be demanding the destruction of the Valkarians as price for her services.
  5. The cost of Fonrit and Laskal is currently in bondage to the Malasp. Every ship must pay both homage and tribute to the grasping merfolk. With the years passing, the merfolk's demands have become even more rapacious, and recently merman inspectors have taken to coming onto the land, and being taken (in carriages) to view interior activities within Fonrit.
  6. The Malasp and Ludoch are fighting an undersea war in and around the Maslo and Marthino. The victor of this war will determine the fate of the budding city-states of Elamle and Onlaks. If the Malasp win, the folk of these peninsulas will be forced into obscurity and probable extinction. If the Ludoch win, they will become one of the major naval influences on Glorantha -- their ships will trade across the lozenge and bring people from all the world into contact. Their hard-working and courageous attitude, as exemplified by their long struggle against the Mother of Monsters and hostile elves, certainly deserves the reward of a Ludoch victory, but who knows?

Sandy P.