RQ RIP ? (fwd)

From: Majordomo <major_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:54:06 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded message:
>From loren_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu Tue Aug 20 10:30:47 1996 Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:41:36 -0400

SimonPhipp writes: RQ RIP
"Will Tales of the Reaching Moon still support RuneQuest?"
=> I don't see why it would be impossible. The background information
and character motivations provided in any good Glorantha material would be usable in any role playing game. The specifics mechanics related to a Pendragon Pass type of game should actually HELP any role playing game as there would be references to passions and traits that drive people to behave as they do. Even if beloved
RQ doesn't use these mechanics, their presence enhances the depth of any game.

"Now, to get more Gloranthan material, I will have to buy the new game and supplements, the wargame/skirmish rules and supplements and the boardgames and supplements. Is it worth it, I ask myself. Perhaps not."
=> Do you prefer the current availability of Glorantha material? You can
always choose NOT to buy anything. I may not buy new Glorantha material that doesn't relate to the areas around Dragon Pass (as Sandy pointed out in his survey results - most of us role play in Sartar, Tarsh, Prax the environs).

"Even if I do buy these things, I'll probably convert them to RuneQuest as that is the game I am most familiar with..."
=> Sure, make yourself comfortable, but don't close the door too
tightly on new experiences. You might find that the new RPG provides even greater opportunities for role playing on Glorantha. You might not WANT to convert to the new system but at least wait for the reviews. It might be clearly a better game than RQ.

"At the moment, I am seriously toying with the idea of giving up Glorantha and RuneQuest completely..."
=> That would be a shame. I understand your hurt. RQ opened the world
Glorantha to many of us. It defined how we saw that world in many ways. We must trust (and hope) that the new system will give us new eyes to see the world even more clearly.

I'm very excited about the rebirth of Glorantha. We are sure to notice a leap in the quality & presentation of the material released. If Chaosium does it at all, they do it right. The very fact that they want a dozen manuscripts nearly ready for release tells you they plan to give Glorantha the support it deserves. As true belivers we should rejoice! RQ (the name) may be dead, but it's spirit lives on! The new RPG is a new birth of that spirit.

It may be two years before we get to see the RPG, but I'll play the skirmish rules for sure! I have a huge collection of 25mm lead soldiers that we've used for Warhammer Battles. Now the Vikings can be a clan of Sartarites and the high elves can be Lunar legioners. "Let us raid a Lunar tax wagon and escape into the wild hill country...together". I can't wait! Paul Harmaty