A fine pickle

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 22:56:35 -0700

Howdy,

Carl the Unmovable Stone wrote:
>Sure, as long as the myths *aren't directly contradictory*. Which
>they originally (RQ2) were not. Please don't cite newer publications
>to prove me wrong, since what I'm complaining about is precisely that
>newer publications *do* diverge from this earlier, better, state.

Well that's a fine pickle isn't it. I hope this isn't ultimately your position - that we should just ignore everything Greg has written for the last fifteen years because it lacks the pristine, all-encompassing character of his earlier writing? Come on - King of Sartar, Fortunate Succession, Glorious ReAscent of Yelm and the Entekosiad are all part of the Gloranthan canon now. Personally, I think the newer material is richer than Greg's writings of two decades ago.

>If the myths contradict each other then SOME ARE WRONG. If you accept the
primacy of logic you
>can't get around that. If you don't, we're wasting our time discussing
this.

Sort of like there is only one God, and he is the Trinity? Myths are not logical proposition - indeed logic is exactly the wrong tool to use when examining cultural and religious beliefs.

BTW, thanks for the harvesting numbers Colin. In ToDP, we generally use bartar (or marks of silver for large items), with the cow being the premier unit of trade for the characters. I am naturally interested in what you pegged as the relative values of grain/animals/specie.

Jeff