Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #517

From: Rodney Smith <remster_at_interport.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 19:19:49 -0400

>Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 18:49:14 -0500
>From: "K. Paul McDonald" <kpaul_at_unity.ncsu.edu>
>Subject: My little corner of the Empire...

>As if this post weren't long enough, I have a new question. White
>Moon Cults. MOB (I think) wrote about a big temple to the White Moon
>somewhere along the Oslir river in TotRM 16. The Razoress wastes a
>bit of time "debating" the cultists sometime in the 1620's (my Lore
>Library is at home - forgive the lack of detail). How widespread and
>powerful *is* this movement? What teachings is it based on? Where
>can I find more info! I am a greedy student. :)

>Getting lost in my own myth...
>K.Paul McDonald

Yes, I'm curious too! More specifically...

Does the White Moon cult actually have any true magic or power? I'd suspect that if there weren't kind of mythic back-up or some power/legitimacy to the Cult, that the Lunar
inquisitors would have checked the White Moonies into a Danfive Xaron penitent legion for treasonous apostacy. In order to be such a threat, wouldn't the White Moon worshippers, even if they haven't any true magic or power, have at least some backers amongst the more powerful in the Lunar Empire? I can see some highly placed Teelo Norri and Deezola cultists giving the White Moon types some cover, regarding them as a cosmological necessity, even if not totally agreeing with them? (Kind of like Orlanthi leaders having to deal with militantly pacifistic Chalana Arroy on their Rings.)

Aloha,

Chris Bell