Re: Polar Bears, Thunder Stones

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:44:06 +0100 (BST)

Simon Phipp points out that:
> the White Bear (of Harrekscloak Fame) is a God of the
> Rathori *With No Children*, meaning that there are no polar bears.
> Unusual for a Hsunchen Beast deity, but there you are.

My understanding is that there used to be polar bears in Glorantha, and that the White Bear is not a regularly worshipped entity, but rather was something of lost spirit, trying to make a "comeback".

> Also, another Rulesey point, Thunderstones can only be thrown, not
> slung.

Much as I'd like to tout Slung Thunderstones as a brilliant innovation of HW over RQ, and of Mr. Richard being a really cool and liberal guy (small "l", Jeff, put the rocker-launcher down!), in fact the RQ3 version of the spell explicitly allows them. Le plus change...

> I reckon there is a HeroQuest to the Flint Slingers (those
> pesky Orlanthi Spirits of Retribution) which allows people to use
> Thunderstones from a sling.

Quite a nifty idea. Perhaps they're the source, or at least the medium, of the spell?

Slainte,
Alex.