Re: Gaming in the Imperial Age

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:52:20 GMT

Keith Nellist (no relation to the previous correspondant):
> The Imperial Age, for example, is free from any risk of Gregging
> because any events that don't fit can be erased by Minaran Memory =
Erasion (I
> can't remember if that is correct) .=20

Professor, the procedure was a complete success! (Actually only = partial,
"Minarian Memory Removal" is the correct term (or if you prefer, the = Greg
one).

This always seemed counterintuitive to me; "historical" games, in whatever setting or genre, have always been subject to the complaint that they're too much subject to the "dead hand of the past". Mordred has "plot immunity" if you challenge him to a duel in the Uffington tourney in 533, sinking the Norwegians en route to Stamford Bridge may cause the odd plot complication, etc, etc. Not that I'm saying that these are in any way insuperable, but is it really the case that the Dead Hand of Greg is _worse_?

Sl=E1n,
Alex.