Re: Rotten Stuff

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:06:17 EST

Andrew Raphael:

<< Who says there's no bacteria? I distinctly remember reading about a
goddess of micro-organisms in Trollpak. She's the mother of Swems, goddess of worms. (I don't keep Trollpak at work, mind you, so I could be wrong)>>

     I fear you are. Swem's mother is Molakka, goddess of molluscs. I'm not aware of her being associated with any microorganisms (she's not in Troll Gods). You *may* be thinking of Molakka's mother, Sokazub, who Trollpak describes as:

    :: Sokazub is the Goddess of Deep Dark Animals. From her body writhed and wriggled all the forms of protostome which enrich the worlds. Other creatures also descended from her which filled the darkness with moving life ::

      Reading that, you could be forgiven for thinking that Sokazub has some association with microorganisms. But only if you (like over 99% of the population, I should imagine) don't know what a 'protostome' is, and assume it must be something like a protozoan. Its not ;-)

<< There's a whole family of darkness deities whose children handle all the
rotting stuff. Gorakiki, Swems, the fungus goddess whose name eludes me suddenly>>

     Mee Vorala, who has far more of a decay function than Gorakiki and probably more than Swems either. Though, admittedly, Gorakiki-dung beetle and the like may well exist, so there is some connection.

Forward the glorious wriggling army!

     Trotsky

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #282