Who Killed Ragnaglar?

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:18:21 -0600

In looking over some of the mythology of chaos, I noticed that there are two different versions of what happened to Ragnaglar. In one version he is described as being killed by Wakboth, while in the other, he is killed by Urox. The version where he is killed by Urox is probably the more satisfying the two, but there are two problems with it. Firstly, according to the "Chalana Heals the Scars" myth, Chalana Arroy persuades Urox to not kill Ragnaglar. Did Urox change his mind later? That would seem to negate what CA accomplished.

    The other problem is that Urox and Ragnaglar are brothers, which means that Urox killing Ragnaglar is kinslaying, and in the Heortling scheme of things essentially chaotic. So am I reading this wrong, or is this a problem in the myth?

    On a closely related topic, do the Heortlings have a myth about the first kinslaying? Is Urox killing Ragnaglar the proto-kinslaying? It doesn't seem like it, although it might explain where Urain comes from (although I've seen references to Urain as the son of Ragnaglar and Thed. Is he the youngest son, born from his father's murder?).

    Any thoughts on this?

Andrew E. Larsen