In the presence of my enemies...

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:24:45 +1300

Andrew Dawson:

>Second, I'm trying to assertain the extent to which the immanence of
>religion (which may be equivalent to the immanence of magic) affects the
>behavior of Gloranthans. I do not think that Gloranthans are as quick to
>ignore their religions as are people historically in our world.

I fail to see how "co-operating with a theological enemy" is "ignoring their religion". Cults of Prax said it best:

         Practicality is a major determinant in the resolution of all vague
         disputes unless instinct of emotion provides and override, and
         this is true in Glorantha where a person finds himself in a
         situation not made clear by his religion.  Further factors such
         as social demand, personal feeling, manipulative spirits or
         gods, and so on will affect any decision.

         It is impractical for living beings to carry their hatred too far,
         especially if the object of hatred has proven its battle prowess,
         is dangerous only when provoked, and is nearby [...].
                 Cults Compendium p101.

When co-operating with a theological enemy, one is _not_ going against one's gods in their judgement that the enemy is scum incarnate. Even when the Praxians hire the Broos, they still consider the new allies to be chaos and evil. All that means is that they are passing up the opportunity to strike against one enemy to do worse damage to another.

--Peter Metcalfe