Vadeli (In Tradetalk)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:08:55 +0200 (EET)

Nice to see somebody (Peter Metcalfe) taking on this fascinating bunch of Gloranthan villains (let's be honest here).

I'd like to know how much the article is "on the money" with some other persons ideas about the Vadeli.

I have to say I'm not entirely satisfied. The scatology and such seemed very crude and the overall forced baddieness somehow lessened their scaryness. Also the "bathing in things to maintain skincolor" didn't ring right for me.

I really like the Vadeli. The immortal superhuman Brithini are scary enough and their dark shadow the Brithini are something truly horrifying.

Still. I'd think the colors of the Vadeli are permanent, marking sub-species or races, specialized for their vocations a long time ago.

I wonder if it's a homophoby- (or lack of it) thing, but scatology and weird reproduction rites just doesn't cut it for me in making the Vadeli the arch-baddies they should be.

The Vadeli are better than anybody else. Only the Brithini are a worthy enemy. The Vadeli are truly superhuman, and whatever cause or rebellion drove them to what they are now, I bet by now most of them are pretty much doing the things because they want to. They have these deep chaotic drives (like the broo) and a culture that encourages them to act it out.

Being tall, immortal and magically strong (the original Men like the Brithini) who could presume to tell them what they can and can not do.

The warriors no doubt are in for blood sacrifice, but I don't think that leads to the browns playing with poo. I think the blue vadeli are supposed to look like drowned corpses (in color only), but again I don't think that means they are dead or decomposing.

Comments wellcome everyone.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.

PS. Does anybody else remember Bill Thompsons excellent "The Book of the Fathers" novel? Published chapter by chapter here on GD all too long ago. The way the characters reacted to a Vadeli sail in the horizon really drove home their scariness to me all those years ago.