RE: Glorantha digest, Vol 10 #97 - 7 msgs

From: Simon Hibbs <Simon.Hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:41:23 +0100

Nils:

>Pure, "orthodox", mystics have no magic powers. They seek
>the mystic state, which is neither physical nor non-physical.
>The otherworlds, and magic, are of the non-physical, hence
>mysticism is entirely non-magical.

Logicaly then, mystics should be completely non-physical, which is a nonsense. Characters on the path to enlightenment are just as physical, and as magical as anyone else. They use their physical powers (walking, breathing, etc) all the time for the things that human beings naturaly do. Since (In Glorantha anyway) people are naturaly magical, they get to do the magical things that people naturaly do and I don't see what is wrong with that.

Actualy some mystic practices develop magic powers, others (mainly the martial arts schools) develop physical skills, most probably delvelop both.

To my mind, the line that should not be crossed is the same regardless of whether the ability is magical or physical. It's the goals these abilities are employed to achieve that matter. Ostentatious use of power, use of power for selfish ends, these distract the mystic from their path to transcendence. Isolation from the world isn't an easy answer, because in itself it is a selfish choice, placing a higher value on one's own enlightenment than that of others.

Simon Hibbs