Re: Nils get's mystical

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_weinander.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:49:52 +0200

Mikko:

> :Failed mystics, whether deliberatly failed (like Sheng) or
> :not, have regular magic powers. I don't think separate rules
> :are needed for these powers. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Ok, but what would you say those powers would be?

Well, it is said that failed mystics have fallen for the temptation of powers offered to them by gods, spirits etc. So, I'd say it depends on the cultural/mythological context in which the failed mystic lives. Sheng for example was a Pentan, and has been described as a shaman in older sources. So, I think te powers he got are the same that an animist gets from celestial spirits. Lokamayadon's Tarumathic stuff could in this vein be basically the same as the magic you get from storm gods.

Failed mystics are probably not limited to magic from one otherworld (i.e. Sheng could have gods' world magic as well).

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams