Re: Myth-making

From: Jerome Blondel <jeblondel_at_free.fr>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 19:14:11 +0200

Graham
> >IMO, no one could ever re-enact the "myths" of their historical
> >ancestors and founders. Most of what they did took place in the
> > mundane plane, with much magic and perhaps dealing with otherworld
> > beings and heroquesting (for example, a possible heroquest with the
> > Grazers), but the result is here. You have their rites to *maintain
> > it*.
>
> Out of interest, what do you think the difference between "a rite
> that maintains their magic" and a heroquest actually is?

I mean rituals or practice heroquests: not leaving the mundane world. When I was talking about "re-enacting myths" or "heroquesting", I meant it as a heroquest in the Gods War, or going to the Otherworld to re-enact historical ancestral or founding myths, which makes no sense to me since mundane history is not part of the Otherworld.

> As far as I'm aware, any Hero who provides magic has by definition
> created a new myth that you can heroquest to gain that magic.

A lot of hero myths tell about heroes acting in the mundane world and history. Although you could repeat their acts, such a quest is grounded in the mundane world. For example, if you seek Indrodar Greydog's magic, you must go to the Upland Marsh. And what's the point of the quest and what justifies the magic you gain if not slaying some enemies in the Marsh?

Jerome

End of Glorantha Digest