Re: True Dragons and heroic scale

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 07:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

Jane notes:
> The impression I get is that fighting a dragon
> in the mundane is, as you say, futile, but
> defeating Aroka on heroquest isn't all that bad
> (in comparison, that is). KoDP, and so on. Which
> seems odd, but there you go.

This leads me to articulate a suspicion I have held for a long time.

<rampant speculation>

There are a few notes here and there about the dimly recalled war between the dragons and the giants. I think I recall that "the giants won" -- whatever that means.

I think that, in some senses, the "giants" conquered the dragons and made or added to the world with them. This is consistent with so many geological features being draconic.

Ths is also consistent with dragons being near impossible to beat in the mundane world -- the mundane world is their home world and they are really here just like Orlanth is really on the god plane. It is easier to beat dragons in heroquests because they suffer the alien world penalty in all otherworlds.

The giants, meanwhile, moved on (or perhaps back) to the various otherworlds.

</rampant speculation>

Or maybe not. There are lots of implied inconsistencies with the now-standard model of Gloranthan cosmology. But my Glorantha varies.

Chris Lemens