RE: Heortling initiation: the example

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 14:01:06 GMT

In message <000701c442e7$7449d1d0$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:
>> >Initiation to adulthood at age 14.
>>
>> Bit late for a girl.
>
>Related to puberty - and this discussion could get biological fast, but
>remember that modern girls mature faster than historical ones. No, I do not
>have figures to hand.

The last article I saw on the subject was that puberty was very dependent on an adequate diet and that 19th Century figures reflected widespread malnutrition. It's probably still a matter of some debate but the tradition of girls being eligable for marriage at puberty and marriage at around 12 in many RW cultures would indicate 14 is a bit late.

Of course Glorantha may not work the same way which means we're straying off topic.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/