Re: Heortling magic

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 20:43:53 +0100 (BST)

>Why bother trying to find a fine line? Having kids
>know common magic is hardly earth-shattering, it's
>not as if they could hurl thunderbolts at their
>parents when told to clean up their plate.

I think the point is that it's considered a taboo, like underage sex. Kids will do it (learn magic that is common or specialized) but adults try to prevent it because its dangerous. Initiation is about entry into the world of adult things, before that no.

But I suspect this is best handled as a YGMV. People seem to have quite strong opinions on it either way, and both sides make convincing arguments.

We have had this debate before with some useful comments. Anyone whose Lokarnos-fu is better than mine care to tradk it down?

Ian Cooper

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html