Re: Re: Common Magic

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:58:13 GMT

In message <3373.217.226.87.98.1085657021.squirrel_at_webmail.toppoint.de> "Joerg Baumgartner" writes:

>Kids could learn animist magic without being initiated. Having Heortling
>kids chancing on a grimoire (from the EWF era?) and attuning to it would
>be a scenario in itself.
>
>And then there's always the trickster who will teach magic...

I reckon the trickster is used as an example of what happens to kids who mess with things they aren't supposed to. Certainly there will be cases where a trickster teaches children magic, but how often does trickster magic backfire? I think more usual reactions to a trickster from children will be either distrust or "Here's an adult we can play tricks on without getting punished".

>Neither for animist magic (or sorcery, which might be found in cities or
>army camps).
>
>I guess a lot of Heortling parents manage by failing to tell their
>children about this fact.

But there's a social rejection of sorcery as evil, while spiritists are like that strange man who spends all his time in the woods chanting to the trees.

There's also the fact that heortling childhood ends much earlier than in the modern world so the teenage rejection of parents advice isn't a childhood problem but one of young adults who are encouraged to take their frustrations out on the neighbouring clan we've had a feud with for generations.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/