Re: Common Magic

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:23:41 +0200 (CEST)

Peter Metcalfe:
> In Runequest, there was no problem
> at all with kids knowing battle magic so why the need to prevent
> them knowing common magic in heroquest?

I think it's more a problem that in RuneQuest times nobody bothered to think about who has to pay the weregild for kids' magical practical jokes. We lacked a system of fines, then...

Kids and magic is like kids and sharp weapons. Training under supervision is ok, a limited range of weaponry/spells will be allowed for missions outside of the stead (like herding, getting water...), probably best in the shape of charms given when they leave the stead and handed back when they're in again.

I agree that there ought to be no solid taboo. Underage non-adult warriors should be viewed similar to keeping dogs or herding goats.

>>  Kids will do it (learn magic that
>>is common or specialized) but adults try to prevent it
>>because its dangerous.

> Kids can't learn specialized magic because they haven't
> been initiated.

Kids could learn animist magic without being initiated. Having Heortling kids chancing on a grimoire (from the EWF era?) and attuning to it would be a scenario in itself.

And then there's always the trickster who will teach magic...

> But that doesn't prevent them from learning
> common magic. And where is the danger in learning
> common magic?

Learning to use a charm is no danger. Learning how to interact with natural entities to gain magic is, and would be avoided.

And you wouldn't want a concentrated self rock bully kid in the tula...

>>Initiation is about entry into
>>the world of adult things, before that no.

> But initiation _isn't_ required for common magic.

Neither for animist magic (or sorcery, which might be found in cities or army camps).

I guess a lot of Heortling parents manage by failing to tell their children about this fact.