[gta-observer] Dispatches from the Hero Wars

From: gta-observer-admin_at_rpglist.org
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:47:44 -0700

Greetings All,

As always, we apologize for the length of time since the last dispatch. The fighting in the Pass lately has been especially fierce, and I have been called off to peace missions several times as well. But, we have some important information to impart.

THE THUNDER HAS GATHERED!
Gathering Thunder is out! The main shipment should have arrived at Steve Jackson Games by now, and hopefully should be available from Warehouse 23 and local game stores within a couple of weeks. I brought the boxes into the house just a few minutes ago, so contributor, GTA, review, and other complimentary copies will be mailed out today or tomorrow (if you are expecting a copy, your address has changed, and you haven't notified us yet, you should do so quickly!). And to ensure no delays, we had copies shipped directly to Adventure Retail for Origins, so the book will debut at the convention. (More on Origins below.)

We used yet another new printer, and this time I must say that everything has worked perfectly. They completed the book amazingly fast (7 business days from receipt of files to shipping finished books), and quality looks great. Assuming their prices and turnaround time remain consistent, I envision we will use Corley Printing a lot in the future.

The book looks great, if I do say so myself. Congratulations and thanks to Greg, Jeff Kyer, Ian Cooper, Ron Edwards, Martin Hawley, David Dunham, Manoel Magalhaes, Diogo Viegas, and all of the other authors, artists, and contributors to this book.

ORIGINS
June 24-27, 2004

Origins 2004 is only 2 weeks away. And there is a LOT going on!

First, Jeff Kyer is running a massive two-part tournament event. The first round, Distant Thunder, is a follow-on scenario to Jeff's own "Sheep, Clouds, Thunder" that appears in Gathering Thunder. This scenario will be run five times at Origins -- Thursday June 24 at 7:00 pm; Friday June 25 at 11:00 am and 7:00 pm; and Saturday June 26 at 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.

The winner of each of these five sessions will receive a copy of HeroQuest and will be invited to the second round of the tournament, Black Cloud Castle. In this second round, the heroes perform a heroquest that will allow them to enter the Sky World and gain a powerful ally for the Storm Pantheon. Black Cloud Castle will be held Sunday June 27, at 11:00 am, and the winner will receive a copy of the HeroQuest Special Edition bearing the Truth Rune.

In addition to sponsoring this tournament, Issaries is also sponsoring a special Continuity event to help Origins celebrate its 30th Anniversary. Thursday June 24 at 1:00 pm we will run the classic RuneQuest scenario Apple Lane. Help defend Gringle's Pawnshop from burglars, then enter the Rainbow Mounds to find and defeat Whiteye the troll. Then, Friday at 1:00 pm, the same players will have the opportunity to Return to Apple Lane! 10 years have passed, and the young men and women of the hamlet have returned home after long years fighting for the Rebellion. What changes will they find? What dangers will they face? Find out in this HeroQuest adventure designed by Greg Stafford.

Finally, Greg Stafford is once again a guest of honor of the Origins convention. In addition to speaking on several panels, he will also be running special HeroQuest, RuneQuest, and Pendragon adventures. His full schedule (as most recently provided to us by the Origins Event Coordinator) is below. Join Greg as he discusses Issaries, Glorantha, and King Arthur, and (if you're lucky) join him as he runs your favorite role-playing game. And, of course, he'll be around the entire weekend, so catch him if you can!

Of course, all of Issaries' books will be available at the convention. Just check out the Adventure Retail booth.

GREG'S ORIGINS SCHEDULE
Thursday, June 24
10:00 am - "Creating Worlds: An RPG Designers Forum" 5:00 pm - Greg Stafford presents... Return to the Troll Realms (for HeroQuest)

Friday, June 25
10:00 am - "The Once And Future King" ["Days of Knights" program]

2:00 pm - "As They Live And Breathe" ["Designers Series" seminar]
6:00 pm - "What's Up with Glorantha & Issaries Inc
8:00 pm - The Origins Awards and Hall of Fame Honors

Saturday, June 26
9:00 am - Greg Stafford presents... Pendragon 3:00 pm - Guest of Honor Presentation

Sunday, June 27
10:30 am - Guest Appearance at Origins Game Collectibles Auction 12:00 pm (noon) - Greg Stafford presents... RuneQuest

ORIGINS NARRATORS NEEDED
At this time, we still need help running the events at Origins. If you are going to the convention, PLEASE contact us and offer to run a game for us! We will provide incentives and prizes for everyone, but we need to hear from you as soon as possible.

GTA NEWSLETTER
That's all for now. The next GTA newsletter should be coming out soon, with full updates on our release schedule, upcoming conventions (including Continuum), news on licensees, "Earth Magic" by Greg Stafford, and more.

Now, back to the trenches!

Stephen

Stephen Martin
<administrator_at_glorantha.com>
Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527
Phone: (925) 680-8897
See our extensive web site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>

End of Glorantha Digest