Re: Glowline

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:23:11 +0200 (CEST)

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>

>>> Which would mean that NW of the Crater and facing the City, the Moon
>>> would appear behind you. I recall Alex once wondering what would
>>> happen if, for example, one crossed from the western reaches
>>> (outside the glowline and thus the Moon is in the direction of
>>> glamour) into the heartlands (where the moon is in the direction
>>> of the NW).

> Joerg:

>>Pretty much the same as from any direction you cross the Glowline - there
>>is an area of uncertainty wherein the moon seems to rise from its outside
>>position (fairly low above the Crater) to its inside position (high, on
>>its place in Buserian's Frame, possibly the one defined by the Doom
>>Conjunction).

> As Nick points out, Common sense is a useful tonic.

Tonics can be bland and stagnant if left open for too long...

It isn't that bad unless you take care to watch the change in the moon's height. You'll perceive that it has gone upwards if you went in, or that it went down if you went out. Outside of the Glowline, the Red Moon hovers at the upper limit of the usual panorama view humans take; inside the Glowline, it is rather near to the centre of the sky (edge of the Upper Sky).

Going up, the moon might momentarily outline a crescent from its outside position to the Verithurus(a) Doom Conjunction position. It should avoid crossing the Celestial City (not part of the Upper Sky).

>>Oh, and a change of phase effect, too. Which one exactly will be told in
>>ILH2.
> What change of phase?

From whichever phase you had before entering to the effect of the half moons if you're an ordinary Lunar, or to the effects of the Full Moon if you are specially devoted (or was it "know the secret"?).

Having the moon overhead rather than above the horizon will alter the exact look of the phase, too.

>>I think we ought to ask ourself what the Glowline really is. I have a
>>fledgeling theory...

> What's wrong with the theory described in the Glorantha: Intro p130?

It's a description of the appearance and (some of) the effects of the Glowline, but no raison d'etre.

IMO the glowline as reaching out from the Good Shore temple (and later additions) since the 3rd Wane only extends the Silver Shadow, a circular Satrapy centered upon the Crater named after a special celestial effect.

Come to think of it, I believe that the Dara Happan tripoleis have a similar effect with their "triple spheres" hanging over the central ziggurats. In their cases, probably limited to the city limits.