Re: Worst Example for....

From: Olli Kantola <newsalor_at_ee.oulu.fi>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:37:12 +0200 (EET)

TI:
> About my article of Lur Nop......
> (Some of Olli's change which I am difficult to accept.....but this is non
> canon but simply my choice for my Glorantha.)

Curious. . . I don't remember doing any such alterations. I tell you what, I'll track through the different versions and check this out.

> IIRC, I said to Joerg Lur Nop's size of the city is larger than Nochet
> though its population is much low than Nochet, because its thin density.
> But I am not sure why Olli inserted the name of Karse here......

As I thought, I did not insert the name there, it seemed to creep up from the _many_ versions of the drafts that I re-wrote.

"The Kethaelan presence is about the size of the city of Karse, but it actually includes Handrans and a huge number of Kralori servants, with a number of stronghouses for various leaders." - This was the printed text.

"The Kethaelan presence is about the size of the city of Karse, but it actually includes Handrans and a huge number of Kralori servants, with a number of stronghouses for various leaders." - no proofreading, my changes

These two were my work. The following are from the three drafts that I did not touch or alter.

"The Kethaelan presence is about the size of the city of Karse (actually including Handrans and a huge number of Kralori servants), with a number of stronghouses (city fortresses) for various leaders." - Lur Nop UNFINISHED given to be by you, next to it are names of you and Joerg

"I'd expect a Kethaelan presence (actually including Handrans and a huge number of Kralori servants), with a number of stronghouses (city fortresses) for various leaders." LurNopRevisedfoZinLetter, with credits to you and Joerg

"I'd expect a Kethaelan presence about the size of the city of Karse (actually including Handrans and a huge number of Kralori servants), with a number of stronghouses (city fortresses) for various leaders." -LurNopofKralorela, credited to Joerg

It was clearly my error. There aren't nearly as many foreigners in Lur Nop as the passage seems to indicate. I'm sorry that this happened, but it is mainly a figure of speech anyway. I do hope that it did not ruin anyones reading pleasure.

Later we give out the populations of the districts and they seem alright.

I did make some changes to the population densities. The change that I did, was to make the city smaller. In the original version of the maps you had 20 000 people living in an area of several thousand square (5-10 kilometers. To me that did not sound very urban. It also didn't seem to make any sense to have the different parts of the city over a hundred kilometers apart. As I recall, I did nothing to the populations, but we re-draw the maps.

> p. 9 Second Battle Field of Heseroon Marn
> Fen Ko Ru general of NDR. or Selelan? It is unreasonable to read the name
> of Can Shu here.....I think Can Shu's notoriety wasn't so large before his
> exile to north IMG. of course and Olli has right to alter it.
> If his assumption is right to make straight line, Can Shu has lived long
> more than mere mortal man and evil before his exile to north.

This, it seems, was my mistake. I did not intend to change anything. I must have typed Can Shu, when I should have typed Shang Sha! I only hope that you or I would have noticed my mistake sooner.

> p.9 Scholastics and Poets
> My image of debate of scholars are in Sung Dynasty Confucians, great
> philosophers debated for the righteousness between legalism and
> humanism....not just a ruffians.......

That is also my view. The last setantance of the "Temple of Literacy" bit appearred there during final edit, but I did approve the final edit, before the magazine was printed. I did not intend to give out an impression of ruffians.

My view on the matter is that there really are several learned and wise sages studying, living, working and worshipping in the Temple of Literacy. They have long and pondersome debates with each other. The students who hear these debates are elated with their masters wise words.

Now, while the real masters don't argue between themselves, that does not apply in my view, with their devoted students. The masters debate the issues and the students argue with those who don't agree with them. A subtle difference there. . . :)

What may be a noble philosophical pursuit among great minds, may become a heated argument among the lesser.

Besides, I think that there is a lot of MGF potential here.

Here is the original bit, though I may have removed some footnotes.

"Shrine of Literary Circles (Alou (Writing), Aptanence (Science), Han Majang (Administration) and Metsyla (Courtesy))[New City] <<For the vast library under imperial assistance, many ambitious students of draconic way study there, but according to the debate between the sect of Scholastics [they believe through study of Ancient Wisemen and Scholars, they more easily achieve Wisdom following example of Emperor Vashanti] and that of Poets [they believe through Poetry, music and humane sensiblity they can achieve wisdom following example of Emperor Mikaday] from Hum Chang leaping across the Blue Dragon Strait and blazing fiercely in this place.>>"

> Of course, I am biased toward of my own preference and it is not
> debatablematter, I love illustration and other parts of article of ZL #2,
> suomi people did fine job for it without my poor help,

Thank you very much. I am very pleased that we were able to publish Zin #2 with your excelent Lur Nop included. Your input to our magazine was most valuable indeed. Even if we propably didn't have any idea what the other meant at times, it was your fresh ideas that we liked the most!

> but worst of it is that the article was too short! (I expected more Kralorela
> material.

I would have loved to see more Kralorela in the issue, but I guess it was not meant to be. As you recall, you originally suggested that we would include your Kralori homeland description, some celestial matters and geomancy with the rest of it.

Unfortunately, due to time restraints, I had to try to extract the most coherent and relevant information from the wealth of material you provided.

Overall, I'm pleased with the quality of the magazine, thought there is always room for improvement.

Olli Kantola

PS. Quotes from TI's original work with his permission.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.

End of Glorantha Digest