Re: Demons & Angels

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:12:04 +0000

Glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org wrote:

>Peter Metcalfe:
>

>>Most Genertelans would say that demons come from Hell, which is
>>the definition adopted by Anaxial's Roster p237.
>>

>Hmm. I don't see any statement as clear as that in my copy.

He's referring to the fact that the subtitle for the 'Demons' chapter is 'entities from the underworld'. This is, indeed, the objective Gloranthan definition of the word, and some analogue would be understood by most educated Gloranthans. However, I think it's fair to say that most *uneducated* Gloranthans (which is most of them, let's be honest) would use the term much more loosely. In the same way, I'm not sure that most Gloranthans would use terms like 'daimone', and clearly distinguish them from spirits, no matter what we may know from our objective game terminology viewpoint.

> The are two types of 'demon' listed in the AR index,

And another five creatures in the 'demons' chapter that aren't listed as such in the index (two of them being animated corpses, and almost certainly not thought of as demons by the great majority of Gloranthans, IMO).
>but the entry on p. 249 never uses the word.

This is a good example. Someone, somewhere, apparently calls Tilntae 'demons of desire' (probably Dara Happans or Rokari), but the game definition provided on p.237 clearly doesn't fit them. Gloranthans, after all, cannot read the rule book :)

><snip>
>

>>Yes. Angels (Certamus AR p192) are denizens of the Sky World.
>>

>The problem with using words like 'infernal' and 'angelic host' is that
>we're used to thinking of them in terms of Christian cosmology. The
>Certamus description describes them as having an 'appropriately Dara Happ=
>an sense of morality and justice' and says that 'Some Dara Happan priests
>summon them to smite their traditional enemies, such as storm barbarians
>...'. That sounds to me as though Sartarites might consider them as more=
>like demons than angels.

They certainly aren't going to like them very much! Mind you, it's unlikely IMO, that there is a word in Heortling that's strongly cognate with our word 'angel', anyway (unless one wants to call Orlanth's daimones 'angels', which seems a bit of a stretch). I'm not aware of the term 'angel' being restricted to sky beings specifically in Glorantha - although it might well be - but Certami obviously look a lot more like our modern Christian concept of an angel than anything much else we've seen described. However, there's a section on Malkioni 'angels' in the current draft of Heroes of Malkion, and believe me, they do *not* look like Certami!

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic