Re: Re: Demons & Angels

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:43:50 GMT

In message <41B8A384.4030008_at_blueyonder.co.uk> Trotsky writes:

>He's referring to the fact that the subtitle for the 'Demons' chapter is
>'entities from the underworld'. This is, indeed, the objective
>Gloranthan definition of the word, and some analogue would be understood
>by most educated Gloranthans. However, I think it's fair to say that
>most *uneducated* Gloranthans (which is most of them, let's be honest)
>would use the term much more loosely. In the same way, I'm not sure that
>most Gloranthans would use terms like 'daimone', and clearly distinguish
>them from spirits, no matter what we may know from our objective game
>terminology viewpoint.

Just checking the dictionary, I find a definition of demon as "evil spirit". That seems to fit what the average Gloranthan would mean by the term, evil of course being dependant on the particular individual's culture.

Certainly the more educated Gloranthan would be more precise in their usage of the word but then they can also debate which hell a particular demon originated in.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/