Re: Arabian lunars

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 22:30:48 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58.0505051437460.13505_at_paju.oulu.fi> Mikko Rintasaari writes:

>The West has always seemed like a terrible anachronism. Late medieval
>society (platemail clad knights and all) living next to the Celt-like
>barbarians and Ancient Greek level Solars.
>
>It all requires a bit of fixing to me :)

You mean like late medieval Scotland? Where the highland clans were still fighting with much the same weapons and tactics they'd used for centuries while the knights from the wealthier lowlands were pretty well equipped if not to the standard of German, French and Italian knights.

You have a point about Dara Happens retaining expensive Ancient Greek style hoplites right up alongside Carmenian Knights but I think that's a combination of tradition on the Dara Happen side and the Carmenian overlords discouraging the DHs from learning more effective techniques.

There's also the issue of suitability for the terrain - Dragon Pass isn't suitable ground for knights. If the Orlanthi were to develop technologically I'd expect them to produce a counter such as the Welsh longbow or the Swiss or Scots pikemen.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/