Re: using two weapons [eventually]

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

>From the perspective of a player, what I would want is
that the dual weapon use can be easily represented on my character sheet, that I don't have to remember any additional rules, that I can use this skill whenever I think it is appropriate to the story, and that use of the skill does not interrupt the flow of the game. On my character sheet, I would represent it something like "Two Sword Fighting" similar to "Spear and Shield Fighting". If a modifier is appropriate because of some particular situation in the narrative, I would expect the narrator to handle it without telling me. I would not expect to incur a penalty or bonus simply because I use two swords instead of a spear and shield.

>From a narrator's perspective, I would not want to
fiddle around with different rules for different weapons. I would want my players to tell me what they are trying to do. I'll then tell them how successful they are. This is partly a matter of personal preference: I dislike simulationist rules. (I once ran a session of The Other Game (TM) where players did not get a copy of their character sheets, so that they had to play the characters, rather than playing the character sheet.)

Chris Lemens

Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/