Re: Heortling Literacy

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:22:31 -0700

> In RQ2 days the Lunars were presented as heavy on bureaucracy and
requiring
> adventurers to fill in many forms.

Ah, the inserts in the Big Rubble Box...

> Would they still come over this way to Sartarite clansmen? Would the
clans
> have trouble finding members with sufficient literacy to deal with it?

I'm sure the Lunar official in charge of forms is well up on how to deal with barbarians - ask them a question, ignore the answer and write in what you think they *should* say. Have them make their mark, and presto, a legal document to threaten them with.

"I never said I had taken Balastar's Axe out of the Rubble!" "Yes, you filled in form PGG:146D, 'Declared Magical Items' with 'Balastar's Axe', so hand it over, or an equivalent in coin" "I can't even write, how could I have filled out this form?" "Is this your mark?"
Yes, but..."
"Hand it over. Or face the penalties. Guards, escort Mr. Garrath to the cells. Next!"

No literacy needed on the part of the stinking Barbarian (and probably none wanted by the Authorities!)

RR