Re: Quest Challenge gains

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:26:36 -0000

Hill of Gold and its results seem pretty apparent along these lines.

> 'Stacking' seems a natural way of describing many contests that are
> also Quest Challenges, simply because it is symmetric (both
> contestants using the same ability). Many contests in the RW are
> symmetric.

Are they? Most of them seemed to be sword skill for spear skill or one type of magic for another.

If you consider these as feats (my lightning spear for your sandals of darkness) it seems rather equitable.

> > Exactly. What I might do in a case like that is to take the Carry
> > Over, turn it into Hero Points (capped by, say, the bonus for
support)
> > and let the Hero spend that on the bidded skill at either the
1/3/6/10
> > etc cost or simply let him buy it at 1-to-1.
>
> Considering the rate of HP burning during a HQ, and the risk taken,
> that would be a pathetic reward.

Carry over can easly be +10-30 when we've been playing with HQ. Getting a +10 added to an ability in a SINGLE adventure for that price seems reasonable to me.

> > Or give him an item that's symbolic of the contest and give THAT
the
> > bonus to his ability... for as long as he has it.
>
> Which, if it is written on the player's character sheet, means
> forever. A HW item is not the same as an Obvious Accessible Focus in
> Champions.

Perhaps. Or you can see it as lasting as long as the blessing stays -- using the time-frame from the Heroquest success. Though I usually use that for wyter blessing only.

But if he's got this power through his spear, he doesn't get to use it when he's drawn his sword. That was the intent of my idea.

> You seem to suggest punishing a player who has played by the rules,
> risked their best ability and (I assume) spent several HPs.

Hardly and I rather resent the implication. I am suggesting that the player is rewarded by gaining a NEW power or ability he didn't have before.

Remember, most of the traditional Quest Challenges were 'I wager sword and you wager spear' types. The hero did not gain a x2 sword skill.

Jeff