Re: Masters in Extended Contest

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:39:25 -0700

> But why should Urgrain's fumble cause Oskul to fare worse than if Urgrain
> had just failed?
> ie Oskul doesnt lose Ap's when Urgrain only fails
> but he loses -1xAp when Urgrain fumbles!
>
> I reread your answer Roderick, but I dont understand this!

On a rules-design level, Because we didn't want to encumber the table with too many special rules.

The Mastery Special rule was built in because of comments by the playtest folks - having two supposed masters of their skills floundering around losing AP because their Ability ratings were too low to roll a "real" success most of the time (ie, down in the 7 or less rating after Mastery cancellation) was felt to be silly and not indicative of what a fight at that level of skill should be.

We *could* have included a second Mastery Special Rule (Winner takes no damage) for Fumble/Fail, but decided not to.

If you want to implement such a change, feel free.

RR