Re: Re: Statistics

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:42:24 +0100

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:27:00 -0000, "Jeff" <jeff.kyer_at_...> wrote:

>For 1 HP or for 1 word of your 100 words, you can put it in and get it
>at 12 or 13. This is a small price to pay. The default of 6 means that
>folks have to actually think about what their characters can do.

They won't have a chance to think much if the 'attack', whatever it may be, is a challenge of any degree to the characters with any specific stat, they'll have lost already. It's not just how low that 6 is, it's the sudden doubling up to the most basic ability of 12. You're either useless, or already good - no-one is average at anything. So you have a choice, be crap, or be notable, never just normal at anything.

>And, frankly, if its a flimsy door, why are they rolling to bash it
>in?

The point was, I thought clearly, that ANY door would be a challenge. Any door worth putting a value on (or any disease, any distance to leap, etc.) would be more than an 'average' character can manage. 6 on a D20 isn't 'average' in any way, it's poor.

Wulf